One of the things I enjoyed most
(This post may contain affiliate links)
were the recipes everyone posted
With hundreds of people across the country participating .. whatever your life situation .. you could bet there was someone similar to you .. who was doing their level best to to navigate as well
So it was fun to watch as the recipes started coming in .. from people who hadn't cooked much in the past .. to Master Chefs. Those with large families .. to singles needing smaller recipe sizes. Those who traveled in their days .. to people who worked from home.
Included were ideas for every meal of the day ..
and every phase of the journey .. from the most restrictive (Detox) .. all the way to the least (Thrive). It's really quite a collection .. I've bookmarked so many to try
Chicken Lettuce Wraps made an appearance more than once .. and this week .. after an informal & delightfully messy dinner .. It's not hard to see why. They were incredibly easy & delicious .. a great blend of spicy & sweet .. surrounded by the cool crunch of big leaves of butter lettuce (from this week's CSA delivery).
The filling was even better the next day when we warmed it up for lunch .. The Chef wrapping his is a flour tortilla for something a bit heartier .. Me .. on top of a big salad with mixed veggies. I imagine it will become a staple .. a dish to keep on hand in the freezer for quick & easy meals down the road.
ps: A tip for separating lettuce leaves with less ripping? Fill your sink about 1/3 to 1/2 way with cold water & plunge the lettuce head in .. gently separating the leaves under the water. Or .. simply rinse the head well with cool water .. including the hole where the core was .. and then separate.
- 2 lbs ground chicken (** or turkey)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup scallions (** or onions)
- 3 oz shredded carrots
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ Tbsp ginger root, minced
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce (lower sodium)
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (** or organic dark brown sugar)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce (** optional for spicier flavor, you can also substitute red pepper flakes)
- 1 large head butter lettuce, washed, dried and the leaves separated
- Heat coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground chicken and cook until brown.
- Add scallions, carrots, bell pepper, water chestnuts and cook until the veggies are tender.
- While the ground chicken and veggies are cooking, make the sauce
- In a small bowl combine garlic, ginger root, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, coconut sugar, sea salt, black pepper, and Sriracha (if using)
- Reduce the heat to medium-low
- Add the sauce to the ground chicken and veggie mix and cook another 5-10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld
- Serve, rolled in butter lettuce leaves
- Makes 8 servings and is easily reheated for serving at a later date.
% Protein: 38
% Carbs: 27
% Fat: 35