This week started in the best of ways .. with
(This post may contain affiliate links)
There wasn't a soul .. with or without fur .. who stirred until nearly 11 am (on a Monday!). By the time we thought about breakfast .. the sun was high in the sky .. and the kids at the elementary school behind our house were enjoying their mid-day recess
The Chef had taken the week off .. with high hopes of painting the front of our house.
As I think back on that morning .. I can't help but smile .. and wonder how easy it is to think love is little more than encouraging her to get some sleep. Or the simple tasks he helped her with .. before tackling the project he'd been itching to get started on.
But of course .. that's not true
It's a man knowing his wife .. that she's a bit worried about oversleeping .. because she might miss her exercise class. The recipe on the counter is one she'd like to make for dinner that evening .. though it's accompanied by a grocery list
It's a man knowing there's laundry to start .. kitties wanting to be cuddled .. and puppies that need to be dropped off for their afternoon playdate. A man with an ear to the radio
noting the hot and steamy week ahead
It's a husband who takes a break in his afternoons to call .. just because he's thinking of her. Or makes things extra special when our families come to visit. The man who always cedes the Pandora station .. and eats (most) everything she cooks
He's chosen to forget her over-tired words the night before .. the pursed lips from the week prior .. her cold feet in the winter .. all of the cookbooks that appear in Amazon boxes by the front door .. and the many animals that now occupy his bed.
Love is also .. remembering to forget
And so he will get her going for the day .. with reassuring words that things will (mostly) get done .. and those that don't .. well .. there will be other days. The house painting at the top of his list .. will instead be paused .. for her
He's been outside working later and later on these unseasonably warm September days .. pausing briefly .. only when she'd bring him some water
“What do you think?”
I think .. it's love
This has been his favorite smoothie combination as of late.
The earthiness of the beets offsets the sweetness of the cherries .. while the Beauti-fuel protein powder contains pea protein to decrease the appetite and restore gut microflora.
Here .. his is made with Siggi's Filmjolk .. which is a low-sugar probiotic drink. Looking for a dairy free option? Nut milk is a great substitute. A teaspoon of bee pollen to top it off
ps: A few words of wisdom from Dana James. If you're someone who's not sure about a smoothie .. try putting it in a bowl instead .. and eating it like a soup. Like so many other things in life .. whatever it takes to get past the mental hurdle.
~ Adapted from Food Coach NYC
- 1¼ cup Siggi's plain filmjolk (or plain kefir) ** Note: The original calls for almond milk
- 2 Tbsp Beauti-fuel protein powder ** or vanilla or unflavored protein powder of your choice
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 beet, lightly steamed (** the original called for ½ raw beet)
- 2-3 ice cubes + more depending on the consistency you'd like
- Optional Additions or Toppings
- 1 tsp bee pollen
- 1 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- Cashew Butter
- Steam the Beet
- Fill the bottom of a steamer with 2 inches of water.
- While the water is coming to a boil, wash beets, leaving 2 inches of the taproot and 1 inch of the stem on the beets. Cut beets into quarters. Do not peel.
- Steam covered for 15 minutes. Beets are cooked when you can easily insert a fork on the tip of a knife into the beet. Although some of their colorful phytonutrients are lost to the steaming water, there is plenty of color and nutrients left in the beets.
- Press or chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
- Peel beets using a paper towel.
- Transfer beets to a bowl and let cool.
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
% Protein: 36
% Carbs: 58
% Fat: 0