I'm such a sucker for
something colorful ..
Maybe it's a function of the time of year .. with all of the summertime fruits & vegetables .. or maybe it's a healthier eating palate .. with all of its flavorful herbs, veggies, and fruit
So when I saw this recipe .. with it's pretty green spinach & eggs .. I put it on the menu for the week. An added surprise .. the complexity of the spice/flavor combinations from the yogurt and finishing sauce.
The original calls for kirmizi biber (a Turkish chili powder) .. which I didn't have. Instead I popped open a jar of berbere .. picked up on a whim during our latest spice store walk-through.
It came together quickly ..
Easy enough to pop it in the oven .. After, of course, one makes it through the egg cracking/don't mess up the yolk obstacle .. Top with garlic infused yogurt .. add a bit of special sauce on the top.
Breakfast is served
Or in our case .. late-night dinner .. with a glass of wine
The Chef summed it up .. . It all went together nicely .. the eggs were better because of the spinach .. and vice versa. (Sounds like the epitome of a good relationship to me.)
Plus, he loved the spice.. a lot. It gave the entire dish a very ethnic taste .. one that put you in a different place. (Not that we'd want to be anywhere else on a beautiful summer evening in Iowa.. but none-the-less)
ps: An added bonus .. this meal is complete all on it's own .. the perfect mix of protein, carbs, and healthy fat
~ Adapted from Saveur.com
- ⅔ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 head roasted garlic
- kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp garlic olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped (white and pale-green parts only)
- 3 chopped scallions (white and pale-green parts only)
- 10 cups fresh spinach (10 ounces)
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- ¼ teaspoon berbere (** or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and a pinch of paprika)
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Mix yogurt, garlic, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, add the leek & scallion; reduce the heat to low & sauté until soft (~ 10 minutes)
- Add the spinach and lemon juice; season with salt.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, turning the spinach frequently, until it's wilted (~ 4 or 5 minutes)
- Transfer the spinach mixture to a 10" skillet, leaving any excess liquid behind (** Note: if using 2 smaller skillets, divide spinach mixture equally between the two)
- Make 4 deep wells in center of the spinach in larger skillet (**or 2 indentations in each small skillet)
- Carefully break 1 egg into each hollow, taking care to keep yolks intact. Bake until the egg whites are set (~ 10–15 minutes)
- Melt ghee in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the berbere and a pinch of salt and cook until a few browned bits have formed at bottom of the pan (~1–2 minutes)
- Add the oregano and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- Spoon yogurt over spinach and eggs.
- Drizzle with spiced butter
% Protein: 38
% Carbs: 40
% Fat: 27