Beautiful side dishes
are often a tradition on holiday dinner tables …
The Roasted Sweet Potatoes Kala brought to December's swap are definitely of this caliber .. lending themselves as a wonderful addition to any menu
We loved this recipe .. not only is it delicious & easy .. with an incredible aroma .. but also looks beautiful on the plate
Roasting caramelizes the sweet potatoes & shallots .. making them sweet & crunchy. The balsamic vinegar lending an almost sweet glaze .. as well as enhancing the earthiness of the mushrooms
A few days after the swap I warmed mine up for lunch with some add-in chicken for protein .. wanting for more .. I decided to give my own version a try
Zaatar the spice of choice .. choosing reconstituted mushrooms for the intensely flavored soaking water they leave behind .. sautéing them in garlic instead of roasting .. with a splash of red wine reduction as a finish
- 2 lbs red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 oz dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted (** or any kind of dried mushroom will do)
- ¼ c water the reconstituted mushrooms soaked in (** the original called for chicken or vegetable broth)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 10 large shallots, peeled, halved through root end
- 2 Tbsp zaatar
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- a couple of splashes of red wine, for de-glazing
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet (or 2) with parchment paper (** or spray with cooking spray)
- Reconstitue the dried mushrooms by soaking them in hot water for ½ hour to an hour.
- Whisk ¼ c water from the reconstituting process, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in small bowl.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes
- Mix sweet potatoes, shallots, & 1 Tbsp zaatar in large bowl.
- Pour half of the broth mixture over and toss .. sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread sweet potato mixture on baking sheet. Roast until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 45-50 minutes.
- Prepare the mushrooms
- Mix mushrooms, 1 Tbsp zaatar in another bowl
- Pour the other half of the broth mixture over & toss .. sprinkle with salt & pepper
- In a saucepan .. add the mushrooms, 2 heads roasted garlic (or 2 cloves, minced garlic), and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Saute 3-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add a splash or two of red wine & let reduce for 5 to 10 min
- Combine & serve
- Combine roasted sweet potatoes and sautéed mushrooms in a bowl.
- Mix in parsley, dust with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and serve
% Protein: 7
% Carbs: 75
% Fat: 20