Beautiful side dishes are often a tradition on holiday dinner tables
(This post may contain affiliate links)
The Roasted Sweet Potatoes Kala brought to December's swap are definitely of this caliber, lending themselves as a wonderful addition to any menu
We loved this recipe. Not only is it delicious and easy, with an incredible aroma, but it also looks beautiful on the plate
Roasting caramelizes the sweet potatoes and shallots, making them sweet and crunchy. The balsamic vinegar lending an almost sweet glaze, as well as enhancing the earthiness of the mushrooms
A few days after the swap I warmed mine up for lunch with some add-in chicken for protein. Wanting for more, I decided to give my own version a try
Zaatar the spice of choice. Choosing reconstituted mushrooms for the intensely flavored soaking water they leave behind, sautéing them in garlic instead of roasting, with a splash of red wine reduction as a finish
~ Adapted from Bon Appetit | October 2003
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Mushrooms, Shallots, and Zaatar
- 2 lbs red-skinned sweet potatoes yams, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 oz dried shiitake mushrooms reconstituted (or any kind of dried mushroom will do)
- ¼ cup water the reconstituted mushrooms soaked in (the original called for chicken or vegetable broth)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 10 large shallots, peeled, halved through root end
- 2 Tbsp zaatar
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- a couple of splashes of red wine, for de-glazing
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Reconstitute the dried mushrooms by soaking them in hot water for ½ hour to an hour.
- Whisk ¼ c water from the reconstituting process, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes
- Mix sweet potatoes, shallots, and 1 Tbsp zaatar in a large bowl.
- Pour half of the broth mixture over and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread sweet potato mixture on a baking sheet. Roast until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 45-50 minutes.
- Prepare the mushrooms
- Mix mushrooms, 1 Tbsp zaatar in another bowl
- Pour the other half of the broth mixture over and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, add the mushrooms, 2 heads roasted garlic (or 2 cloves, minced garlic), and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Saute 3-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add a splash or two of red wine and let reduce for 5 to 10 min
- Combine and serve
- Combine roasted sweet potatoes and sautéed mushrooms in a bowl.
- Mix in parsley, dust with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and serve