One of the many things I love
about My Gym ..
Is the wealth of ideas for feeding your body well
A friend & I sat putting on our shoes .. a container of protein powder sticking out of her bag .. “OK, gotta ask .. what are your favorite ways to eat it?” 30 seconds later I reached for my notebook “Wait .. will you say that again?”
I lingered longer than normal after kickboxing .. a husband & wife heading back to work .. she handed him a smoothie .. “Do tell .. what's in it?” Everyone within ear shot started to offer their favorite tips & tricks .. what a wealth of knowledge!
This recipe came from a coach .. wanting for something other than her standard greek yogurt smoothie .. she searched Pinterest & found this recipe .. “I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner! Of course .. cottage cheese”
I couldn't resist .. roasted strawberries are wonderful .. cottage cheese a fridge staple .. and smoothies are a world I've been wanting to delve further into. Not to mention the recipe was a perfectly balanced meal.
The end result, as expected, was absolutely delicious .. though its consistency offered a surprise. The creamy texture was similar to a shake made of ice cream .. something I've never experienced in a smoothie made from yogurt or milk.
Other reasons I love the idea of a smoothie made from cottage cheese
If you're not a fan of cottage cheese because of its texture, but the time your smoothie is blended, you wouldn't know it's there. Greek yogurt or a medium sized frozen banana would be great replacements
Maybe the tang of greek yogurt is off-putting? This offers an alternative way to get your protein
Not a fan of fruit on its own? Again .. an alternative way to add it to your meals
I think I'll be doing some Pinterest searching of my own .. in the very near future
ps: I've also been enjoying this smoothie with spiced walnuts sprinkled on top
pps: I'd be remiss to part without speaking of vodka. Often, I'll make a couple servings of a smoothie at a time .. freezing some for another day. The problem .. the second serving emerges hard as a rock. A trick that works for me .. since alcohol doesn't freeze .. and vodka doesn't impart an intrusive taste .. for every 2 cups or so of finished smoothie .. I'll blend in a Tbsp or so. If you're feeling extra fancy .. a bit of Champagne or Rose would compliment the strawberries beautifully
~ Adapted from minimalist baker.com .. here
Roasted Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Smoothie
- 3/4 cup strawberries sliced
- 2 tsp coconut olive, or grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder optional .. my favorite is from Food Coach NYC
- 1 Tbsp honey sweetener of choice
- 8-12 ice cubes depending on preferred thickness
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1/4 tsp chia seeds for thickening optional
- 1 Tbsp graham cracker crumbs for topping (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg F
- Place strawberries on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil and toss.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the strawberries are soft and juices have begun to release.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes or more.
- Add all of the ingredients, except the graham cracker crumbs, to a blender.
- Blend until well combined.
- Serve immediately with the graham cracker crumbs (if using) either sprinkled on top or swirled throughout