What are you up to this 4th of July weekend?
(This post may contain affiliate links)
Did you get to watch the fireworks?
We were going to tackle a few projects but decided instead that 3-day holiday weekends should include a bit of fun as well.
So we’ve been sleeping in, trying new pancake recipes for breakfast, taking the puppies for extra long walks, playing Scrabble at the coffee shop, and hanging out at 4th of July cook-outs with old friends as well as new.
We also made one of our favorite snacks. Quinoa pizza bites, filled with our favorite flavors (pepperoni, mushroom, onion, and black olives) Not only are they great to have at home, but they’re also wonderful to serve as appetizers or bring along to parties.
Don’t feel bound to our flavors, as long as you’ve added about 2 cups of “toppings” to the quinoa base you’ll be fine (here 1 cup pepperonis and 1 cup total between the mushrooms, black olives, and onions)
We’ve made them Mexican with taco seasonings and fillings, dipping them in salsa and/or guacamole. They’re also great with an assortment of cut-up veggies and a greek yogurt ranch dip.
A quick note about the mini-muffin pan. I’ve tried them both ways, with a well-sprayed pan and also using muffin liners. Use the liners; they’re so much easier, I promise
~ Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
Quinoa Pizza Bites
- 2 ¼ cups cooked quinoa
- 3 eggs (large or XL)
- 1 cup pepperoni, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup mushrooms, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup black olives, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup red onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp (heaping) pizza seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- pizza sauce for dipping
- Cook quinoa according to the directions on the package
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Prepare the mini-muffin baking tray. It can be sprayed liberally with olive oil, or mini-muffin liners also work well
- In a medium bowl, add all of the ingredients (except the parmesan cheese) and mix until combined
- Spoon the mix into the muffin pan, filling each cup to the top (~ 1 heaping tablespoon each). Press down gently to compact.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Serve warm with pizza sauce for dipping.