“You know it's raining out there .. right?”
“No worries big guy .. I'll be ok”
(This post may contain affiliate links)
His head cocked from one side to the other .. as we communicated .. dog to human
“You know you have your swimming suit on .. and well .. did I mention .. it's raining?”
“Be the best puppies. Guard the car. Watch for little kids with squiggly floaty things. I know they look shifty .. but they're really pretty nice”
With all of five cars in the parking lot .. certainly, she wouldn't be hard to find. Come to think about it .. she's always there .. rain or shine. It's the one thing she's excited for all year-long ..
She's in her 70s .. a former runner who's had both knees and hip replaced .. and does just as many .. if not more things in her days .. than I do.
The invitation to give it a try was one I simply couldn't resist. It turned out to be so much fun .. in the water and the sunshine .. I bought a season pass .. and have gone nearly every day since.
I've thought timetime again .. how some of the most inspiring and motivating people I've ever met .. are those who .. as they age .. simply refuse to stop moving. And every day from 11-1 .. the lazy river at our Aquatic Center .. is filled with so many beautiful examples
I'm starting to know some names .. though most are still friendly faces. Some days I walk on my own .. saying “Hi” as I make my way around at a slightly faster clip. Some days I slow down some to hear ..
Then there are words of wisdom that come from decades-long careers. Some of my favorites? What it takes for a boss to create a great work environment
Have a dish of candy on your desk. It invites people to come into your office and have a nice conversation (but it has to be good candy!)
Always give yourself overnight before making an important decision
Whatever you do .. always keep the women happy. If the women are happy .. the office will be happy
When in doubt .. refer to Rule #3
Today though .. the lazy river was empty .. so we walked and swam back and forth in the pool instead. The rain .. coming down anywhere from just a sprinkle to .. pretty darn steady. Somehow none of it seemed to matter
It was one of the happiest hours I've had in a very long time
Thank-you .. my friend .. for showing me yet another of life's tips .. from a life
We've been eating a lot of these muffins as of late
The combination of whole wheat pastry flour and quinoa gives them a nice .. chewy .. yet moist texture. They're not overly dense .. but at the same time not terribly light and cakey either. Simply a great muffin consistency.
The added quinoa also gives them a nice boost of protein
Healthy and delicious .. these pumpkin muffins are wonderful for breakfast .. or an afternoon snack.
~ Adapted from Bob's Red Mill
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (** the original called for brown sugar)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp fine-grain sea salt
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- 2 eggs (Large or XL)
- ¾ cup pumpkin (unsweetened, canned)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp butter, unsalted, divided
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Use 1 tablespoon of the butter to thoroughly butter the muffin tins and set them aside.
- Melt the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cooked quinoa, separating the grains with a fork to distribute them evenly.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs. Add the pumpkin, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla, and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry and combine until the flour is just incorporated. (The batter will be slightly lumpy)
- Be careful not to over-mix.
- Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups. (Each should be about ¾ full)
- Bake until the muffins are nicely browned around the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (~ 30 to 35 minutes)
- Set the tins on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and remove the muffins.
- Eat warm or cool directly on the rack.
- If not eating the same day, they will freeze well for up to 3 months
% Protein: 5
% Carbs: 63
% Fat: 6