What are your plans for this first weekend in November? Anything fun?
We're going to be ..
getting ready for Spaghetti Saturday .. with our first dinner only 8 days away (!) This morning I got up bright and early and drove 3+ hours (one way) .. to IKEA. It was fun to stock up on dishes, party things, and legs for the homemade dinner tables we'll make from repurposed doors
So we'll be cooking (and testing) meatballs .. with a plan to freeze them ahead of time. I've picked out a few recipes to try .. one for meat-eaters .. another for our gluten-free friends .. and yet a third for vegetarians/vegans. (much more to come .. )
In between meatball rolling I'm also having lunch with ..
twenty fellow Iowa Food Bloggers .. none of whom I've met. I confess to being nervous and excited all at the same time .. and wonder what we'll talk about. Many of them have been blogging a lot longer than I have .. so ‘m hoping to pick their brains for lessons learned .. as well as some of their favorite recipes and cookbooks
A wonderful recipe to share this morning .. a healthier version of a fall favorite .. pumpkin bread.
For the past few of years my Mom & I have had a standing lunch date at our downtown coffee shop. She gets a salad .. I get the soup (and in the fall .. a pumpkin muffin top).
I always remark .. “There has to be a recipe out there for a healthier version”
Indeed there is ..
After quite a bit of trial and error .. I've landed on this version from Against All Grain. It's not hyper sweet or oily like traditional pumpkin breads can be .. with spices that are surprisingly assertive.
If you're new to gluten-free or paleo baking .. some of the ingredients may seem a bit foreign. To touch on a few .. Coconut and almond flours are considered staples in healthier baking. Since these flours can bring a heavier texture and mouthfeel .. arrowroot powder will often be used to lighten, if you will, the final product.
Before you start .. I'd encourage you to follow the link .. as she's posted a couple of versions. I've tried and had good luck with both .. making them into muffins .. full size loaves .. as well as mini loaves for friends and neighbors
Wishing for you a happy and cozy weekend ahead
~ Adapted from AgainstAllGrain .. here
- 2 XL eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup almond butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 3 Tbsp palm shortening softened
- 2 tsp lemon juice ** fresh is best
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- 1½ Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp grain-free baking powder ** or make your own- 1tsp baking soda+2 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Lightly grease an 8.5×4.5 loaf pan and place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- In a food processor, combine the eggs, almond butter, maple syrup, pumpkin puree, palm shortening, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Puree for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add the arrowroot powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, ginger, and sea salt.
- Blend again for 30 seconds until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely before eating, about 2 hours.
- Store tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.