The view out my window ..
Seemed brighter than usual this Monday morning
I nudged The Chef .. “Hey Loves .. what time it is?”
“You sure you want to know?” He smiled .. reaching for his phone .. “It's 8:30 .. oh and .. it's -19 outside .. real temp”
He ventured out of bed .. all 6 of our furry creatures mobilized to greet him .. hoping for a spirit of extra generosity in relation to tasty treats. I lingered a little longer under the electric blanket ..
I love him extra for that.
Heading out the door this sunny, frigid morning .. he brought a stash of healthy treats to re-stock his office .. these were included .. a fresh batch made just last night
In a number of ways they're similar to Peanut Butter Backpack Kisses .. though different enough to stand on their own.
I noticed them at our local co-op a month or so ago .. picking up a couple to snack on as I finished my afternoon errands. They were wonderful .. a stroke of luck to find the recipe posted on their website.
There now some living happily in our fridge & freezer .. an addition to many of our long time favorites .. and that seems like a very good thing
ps: A few ideas for substitutions and/or additions
2/3 c almond butter and 1/3 c tahini for peanut butter .. carob powder for unsweetened cocoa powder
toast the sesame seeds for a nuttier flavor
~ Adapted from MAFA Peanut Butter Balls .. here
- 1 c peanut butter
- ½ c + 2 Tbsp rolled oats
- ½ c smoked sesame seeds, ground up (** I pulsed them in the food processor until they were fine like flour)
- ½ c sunflower seeds, chopped (** Again, I pulsed them in the food processor until they were rough chopped)
- ½ c protein powder (** Note .. I used ¼ c peanut butter & ¼ vanilla flavors)
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
- ⅛ tsp salt if using unsalted nut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ c +2 T honey, use more if needed for consistency (** for a vegan option choose liquid sweetener of choice)
- Mix together peanut butter and honey.
- Pulse sunflower seeds in food processor or chop to make into smaller pieces. Stir sunflower seeds and remaining ingredients into peanut butter mixture, add more honey as needed.
- Roll into balls using about 1 Tablespoon for each.
- They are ready to eat .. refrigerate or freeze the leftovers
% Protein: 21
% Carbs: 25
% Fat: 44