Every week I send recipes to one of my kids who lives 1,000 miles away
Something fun in the mail. A quick note of I love yous, along with a couple of handwritten recipes.
As I glance through the titles, I realize this weekly ritual, started on a whim, really, has now turned into quite a list. With so many familiar family recipes, it's a beautiful reminder of the memories that come from the meals shared with others
Some weeks the ideas flow quickly. Other weeks, like this one, I search for something new.
My mental checklist at the ready. Is it quick, inexpensive, and easy to prepare? Can it be made with the most basic of kitchen supplies? Of course, is it healthy?
Leave it to Pillsbury for recipes fit the bill, being simple and delicious all at the same time. This breakfast skillet is no exception. It was quickly added it to the week's menu at our house as well. Homemade sausage from the freezer, along with taco seasoning, halving the original to accommodate a household of two.
As only the best-laid plans can go, our tasty skillet didn't happen in the am. Instead, coming to fruition as a last-minute dinner idea, which was just fine with us. Rounding it out was a side salad, a glass of wine, and good conversation.
It doesn't get much better than that
ps: I imagine it would be equally delicious as a vegetarian meal, adding seasoned black beans instead of the meat
— — —
~ Adapted from Pillsbury
Mexican Breakfast Skillet
- 10 oz shredded hash browns, cooked
- 1 ½ Tbsp homemade taco seasoning (see recipe below) ** or 1/2 package taco seasoning mix .. note: 1 package taco seasoning mix contains about 3 Tbsp seasoning
- ¾ lb breakfast sausage
- ½ onion, chopped (~ ½ cup)
- 6 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup salsa (heat of your choice)
- Heat oven to 350° F and prepare baking vessel (I have a great fondness for cast iron skillets)
- In a large bowl, toss the hash browns with ½ Tbsp taco seasoning and pat into the baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, cook breakfast sausage and onion over medium-high until brown (5 to 7 minutes) and drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, egg whites, cheese, milk, salt, pepper, and remaining taco seasoning mix.
- Stir in the sausage mix and salsa. Carefully pour over the hash browns in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes, or until eggs are set in the center. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.