Have you been listening to any good podcasts lately?
(This post may contain affiliate links)
“Have a good one Sweetie .. and remember if you get bored on your drive .. there's that really cool podcast I told you about”
A conversation I have with my husband at least once a week
— — —
While my list of podcasts is forever changing .. there are a few episodes over the past year that I've especially loved for one reason or another. Those that I listen to again and again when I want to laugh out loud .. learn something new .. or share with a friend when they're feeling low.
Thought it might be fun to share a few of them today
Fresh Air Remembers Country Music Legend Merle Haggard – What a beautiful lesson in starting over and re-inventing yourself when you wake up and realize .. life isn't what you'd like
“Well, I went back down on the yard and asked for the toughest job in the penitentiary, which was a textile mill, and went down and just started building my reputation, you know? Just started running in reverse from what I’d been doing and started trying to build up a long line of good things to be proud of. And that’s what I’ve been doing ever since” ~ Merle Haggard
Chase Jarvis Interviews Kelly Starrett – Such a great conversation about living our best lives. Especially that health and fitness don't need to be so complicated
“Don’t be heroic. Be consistent” ~ Kelly Starrett
(This interview is part of the Chase Jarvis 30 Days of Genius Series)
Tim Ferriss Interviews Tony Robbins – Achievement vs Fulfillment – It’s simply one of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard. The one I listen to over and over again and never get tired of
“We live in a world where most of us are looking for what’s wrong. What’s wrong is always available. So it what’s right. And if you don’t take control of your focus, everything in your life will disappear” ~ Tony Robbins
Making Oprah – From WBEZ a really great 3-part series about what it took to make The Oprah Winfrey show .. and why the size of the bow really matters(!)
Love and Radio's The Living Room – Diane’s new neighbors across the way never shut their curtains, and that was the beginning of an intimate, but very one-sided relationship
Surprisingly Awesome's Frequent Flyer Miles – The world in a cup of pudding – or rather, 12,000 cups of pudding
Terri Gross Interviews Carrie Fisher – Maybe it was her incredible wit .. or stories of the Gary the dog who she loved so much (whose tongue always hangs out – just like Z) .. but I smiled all the way through. Carrie Fisher .. May the Force Be With You
On her favorite Comic-Con Princess Leia costume – “My favorite one to see is the metal bikini — on men! That is what's been happening a lot. A lot. And not thin men, by the way! So that makes me feel good about myself, kind of before-and-after thing — this is way after. Not only is Princess Leia fatter, she's a guy!” ~ Carrie Fisher
Tim Ferriss Interviews Susan Garrett – A master dog (and human) trainer .. She shares 2+ hours worth of tips(!)
“Dogs are here to teach us. And if you don't open your eyes to that, you're going to miss life lessons” ~ Susan Garrett
Are there any others you'd recommend? I'd love to hear ..
Whenever I'm out and about .. I keep a list of cooking inspirations I see along the way. Truth be told .. it's more a nest than a list .. and there's a pocket in my purse dedicated to keeping it somewhat contained.
Unzip the pocket and you'll find folded carry-out menus .. notes scribbled on the backs of receipts .. pages ripped from far-flung magazines .. that sort of thing. Every week or so I take out the pile and there it will sit .. in the middle of our kitchen's island
At the top of the pile this week? A note to self to make garlicky roasted artichokes and find a way to incorporate them into a quick and easy weeknight meal.
This fits the bill .. it's healthy .. colorful .. and filled with bold flavors. Made with staple ingredients that live in the pantry or the fridge until we need them on busy nights. Roasted artichokes tossed in garlicky Panko bread crumbs .. tossed sun-dried tomatoes .. olives .. lemon .. herbs .. and warm parmesan-specked pasta.
Note about the artichokes: The original called for frozen artichoke hearts .. although I used canned and I'm certain fresh would be the best
~ Adapted from Fine Cooking
- Garlicky Roasted Artichokes
- 12 oz. thawed frozen artichoke hearts, drained and patted dry (or the equivalent canned or fresh)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- fine grain sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste, depending on your tolerance for heat)
- 3 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped fine
- lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- Lemony Chicken Pasta
- 12 oz. penne pasta (or any similar short pasta) .. note: any gluten-free variety will work great and turn this into a gluten-free meal
- ¾ lb ground chicken
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- garlicky roasted artichoke hearts
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped pitted Castelvetrano or Cerignola olives
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil; more for drizzling
- ½ oz. Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated (about ¼ cup); more for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- Garlicky Roasted Artichokes
- Pre-heat the oven and heat to 425°F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the artichokes with 2 Tbsp oil and a pinch of sea salt, spread in a single layer, and roast until they're golden brown on the bottom (~ 20 minutes)
- Flip and roast until golden brown in places (~ 5-7 minutes)
- In a small to a medium-sized skillet over medium-low heat, heat a Tbsp of oil
- Add the garlic and stir with a wooden spoon until fragrant (~ 30 seconds)
- Add the bread crumbs, a small pinch of sea salt and stir until the oil is absorbed and the bread crumbs are golden brown (~ 2 to 3 minutes)
- In a large bowl, toss the artichokes with the garlicky bread crumbs, red pepper flakes (if using), and remaining 1 Tbsp oil.
- Serve with a dusting of parsley and optional lemon wedges on the side
- Lemony Chicken Pasta
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente
- Meanwhile, in a medium-size skillet, brown the ground chicken until cooked through
- In a large bowl, add the artichokes, tomatoes, olives, oil, parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, browned chicken, pasta and parmesan.
- Toss until well combined.
- Serve drizzled with a bit more oil, topped with additional shaved cheese, and lemon wedges, if you'd like