“Everything that is not written down disappears except for certain imperishable moments, people and scenes” ~ James Salter, “The Art of Fiction No. 133,” The Paris
On the bed where I sit .. cross-legged .. leaning against the headboard: glasses .. a cookbook .. a puppy snoring under the blanket .. a kitty purring at my side. A pile of pillows are scattered on the floor .. close by is my favorite afghan that's been softened with age
Down the hall .. I hear the faint rustling of The Chef as he winds down with a glass of wine and a crossword puzzle. Soft jazz still plays throughout the house .. and the dishwasher hums faintly .. as another Spaghetti Saturday draws to a close
For me .. the perfect ending to a week. One I don't want to forget .. filled with so many things to be ..
warm .. sunshine filled days
a husband who assembles bookshelves
a career that I love
postcards from a brother who travels the world
a husband who loves bigger than I ever can
new friends .. who come bearing tasty balls of chocolate(!)
clean white sheets
friends who introduce you to new places to lunch
handwritten cards that come in the mail
courage .. especially to say “no”
four kitty cats who play in the night
a favorite booth at the coffee shop
courage to try new things
a really good hair cut & color
a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet
someone who walks through your front door on Spaghetti Saturday .. that you didn't expect to see (yay!)
a chest filled with memories of the past
good night .. whispered from across the pillow
It's always a nice surprise when a healthier treat turns out better than the original.
Made with crisp brown rice cereal (you'll find it at many natural food stores) .. instead of melted marshmallows for a binder .. these gluten-free .. vegan treats are made with peanut butter .. maple syrup .. and agar agar flakes
The first batch .. it was fun to add some chopped pistachios throughout. The second .. we served at the party .. plain. Both versions were great
A quick note for when you're standing in the middle of the cereal aisle .. You'll want to look for crisp brown rice cereal .. and not puffed rice cereal.
ps: Haven't heard of Agar Agar Flakes? They're a sea vegetable .. used to thicken such things as puddings or custards. Here .. they help give the peanut butter mix a little extra binding power.
pps: For other recipes and stories from Spaghetti Saturday .. here
~ Adapted from Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson .. here
- Krispy Treats
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- 1 Tbsp agar agar flakes
- 4 cups unsweetened (or lightly sweetened) crisp brown rice cereal
- 1 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped (** or any other nut)
- Line two muffin tins with about 18 muffin/cupcake wrappers, and set aside.
- Combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, salt, and agar flakes in a large saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until smooth, hot, melted, and bubbling just a bit.
- Add the cereal and ¾ cup of the nuts (if using), and stir until well coated.
- Spoon two or three heaping Tbsp of the mix into each muffin wrapper and press into place with the back of a spoon.
- Alternately, if you want krispy squares, you can transfer to mix to an 8 by 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts and refrigerate until completely cool
% Protein: 11
% Carbs: 46
% Fat: 13