I can't think of a better way to kick off grilling season ..
Ground lamb .. grilled alongside colorful veggies ..
All destined to be wrapped in a warm piece of naan
A bit of labna & sumac provided the extra touch of flavor that took them to the next level ..
This Memorial Day weekend .. scoot the burgers & hot dogs over just a bit .. and make a spot on the grill ..
As with any original recipe from The Chef .. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
ps: If you're wondering .. what the heck are these mystery spices anyway? And labna? Never heard of it?
Yep .. I was floating in the same boat until a few months ago .. introduced via a recipe typical of Israel which used a number of these middle-eastern flavors. I've since learned to love my favorite ethnic grocery store.
A few links ..
Sumac: A good article from thekitchen.com
Zaatar: From thespicehouse.com
- 1 pound ground lamb
- ½ onion, diced fine
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thick slices
- Mushrooms, stemmed
- In a food processor, combine the onion, ground lamb, and a strong pinch of zaatar
- Pulse until smooth
- Form into your favorite size meatball (** Make sure it's big enough to hold up well on your skewer)
- Prepare your skewers by alternating between meatballs, peppers, and mushroom caps.
- Spray with a bit of olive oil
- Grill until cooked and add to your warmed naan that's been spread with labna & sumac sprinkles