Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!
(This post may contain affiliate links)
“Do you like green eggs and ham
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
I do not like green eggs and ham.”
May your Sunday be filled with a little bit of fun with those that you love ..
ps: Don't forget to read the full text over breakfast, whether you're eating with someone who's 3, 93, or anywhere in between.
~ Adapted from Rachael Ray's Green Eggs and Ham
Green Eggs and Ham
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- quite a bit of roasted garlic
- 1 (10 oz) box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted in microwave and liquids drained
- ½ cup milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 8 slices black forest ham (deli sliced)
- 8 eggs
- optional: cheese sprinkled on top
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the spinach, milk, roasted garlic, a small pinch of nutmeg, a pinch of salt, and a grind or two of black pepper
- Cook the spinach, stirring occasionally, until the mix has thickened, ~ 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Line the nonstick cups with 1 or 2 slices of meat each.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the cooked spinach into each of the cups, then crack an egg into each, doing the best you can to ensure it stays whole (if you're worried about breaking the egg yolk, crack the egg into a small bowl first, then transfer it to the muffin cup).
- Season the tops of the eggs with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bake in the oven until set (~15 minutes)
- Allow the baked eggs to cool in the muffin cups for a couple of minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Serve immediately