Chunks of dark chocolate, lots of nut butter
(This post may contain affiliate links)
an overflowing tablespoon of vanilla extract
For my grandson Sam, who's learned to walk. For my neighbor, accompanied by a hot cup of apple cider on a rainy afternoon. For the woman at the vet who lets me stop and put Harry on the scale (63.8 pounds at 5 1/2 months!) Oh my. For my husband, because there's nothing better than feeding someone you love
Natural sugar and toasted pecans. Flaky sea salt.
For me, as I drift off to sleep on the sofa while reading a book. For a friend, at the end of a rough day; shared with no one. For all of the students who stop to pet the puppies on our afternoon walks through campus. “Bear with us we're practicing. Sit. Stay. Let's have a few cookies.
Wonderful; now you can pet them.”
Chunks of chocolate and nuts stirred in while the dough is still warm. Crinkly on the top and marbley brownie-like on the inside.
For all of the women at the gym, who inspire me every day. For baby Sam's mom, who's finishing her first semester of college. For my brother and sister-in-law, who give the best group hugs, and make me smile a million times over. For the little girl, I sat next to at Thanksgiving, whose marketable skills included reading, whistling, and riding her pink balance bike.
The texture ultra chewy. An incredibly rich, satisfying flavor, and not overly sweet.
For the therapist who I started seeing again, “No, you're not the things they say you are. Remind yourself, every day.” For the stranger who smiled warmly as we passed on the street. For the woman whispering next to me at yoga class, “Keep going, you can do it.” For my personal trainer who's helping me become stronger
“Just one more set, you've got this”
Several versions of these blondies rest in the freezer, cubed and Ziplocked. Up for grabs. For the forgotten get-together with friends. For date nights at home, with a movie and a glass of bubbly. For weekend road trips. For anyone who stops by on a moment's notice.
~ Adapted from My New Roots
Chocolatey Nut Butter Blondies
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup nut butter
- ¾ cup natural sugar (Sugar in the Raw or Turbinado)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fine grain sea salt
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate (70% or higher, rough chopped)
- ¼ cup chopped nuts, optional, I used pecans
- a pinch flaky sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Add the nut butter and combine
- Add natural sugar, fine grain sea salt, and baking soda. Combine. (Note: The dough will be very thick)
- Add the nuts if using, along with a little over half of the chopped chocolate, and combine.
- Press the dough into a parchment-lined 8×8" pan (or something equivalent)
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate pieces over the top and press each piece slightly into the dough. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the blondies are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan completely before cutting