Out of all the swaps we've had, after all the recipes we've tried
(This post may contain affiliate links)
There's one that everybody asks about and wants the recipe for.
They've tried to replicate it on their own, with variations of success, after their swap item became the tastiest of memories
Dave's Chicken Wraps
(He brought them to July's Cooking Light food swap)
The sum of its flavorful parts: grilled chicken, corn, spinach, refried beans, and salsa (hot or mild). All wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla.
The epitome of easy yet healthy
I kept thinking, “They can't be that simple. Let's chat. What's the secret ingredient?”
In the end, there really wasn't one. Which again, goes to prove, some of the best dishes are those that are the most humble.
So I've learned from his example. How to create a delicious wrap so I can have them too for quick and easy lunches
Start with a whole wheat wrap
Select a protein: chicken, beef, tofu, pork, fish
Add something green: spinach, kale, lettuce
Add a veggie or a veggie blend. It can be simple like frozen veggies warmed up, or a sophisticated blend you've oven-roasted yourself.
Now let's turn to flavor. What are some ways we can kick up the flavor?
Dave used refried beans as a spread on the tortilla. A flavored hummus would work beautifully as an idea for building your own
Salsa was another great flavor addition. There are so many choices when it comes to salsa, and everyone should be able to find a flavor combo they enjoy.
But, you're not relegated to salsa by any means, any healthy sauce with lots of flavor will do the trick.
I love that he brought two different options: mild or hot
They're also a nice make-ahead meal and freeze beautifully.
ps: In the end, I believe the secret ingredient, the flavor you just couldn't put your taste bud on, were the refried beans. Every time he mentioned them to an inquirer, they thought a little ..
“Oh yeah, THAT was it!”
Chicken, Refried Beans, and Veggie Wrap
- 1 - 2 Tbsp refried beans
- ½ cup spinach leaves
- ½ - 1 cup chicken, sliced/diced chicken
- ¼ - ½ cup corn
- 1-2 Tbsp diced tomatoes
- 1-2 Tbsp salsa
- 1 large whole wheat tortilla (or a gluten-free wrap if you’re avoiding gluten)
- Spread a couple of spoonfuls of refried beans on a whole wheat tortilla.
- Press spinach leaves into this paste, sticking them to the tortilla.
- Layer your protein, such as grilled chicken cut into strips, on top of the spinach.
- Drizzle your favorite salsa over the meat.
- Sprinkle a spoonful or two of veggies such as roasted corn medley and diced tomatoes on top.
- Facing the tortilla, fold the lower edge up and over the edge of the ingredients, pressing down. Do the same with the upper edge.
- Fold one side of the tortilla tightly over the ingredients, snugging it down without squeezing squirting things out.
- Fold the other side of the tortilla over, snuggling the entire package into one neat pouch.
- Slice across at mid-length to make two nicely sized servings.