Do you have a favorite coffee shop?
(This post may contain affiliate links)
The place where you walk in and immediately feel at home?
You know it's rhythm, clientele, laptop plug-ins, menu, and muffin delivery days. You've sat at all of the tables at one time or another, but still have your favorite camping out spot.
In your mind's eye are days looking out the big windows during all of the seasons. The time it was snowy night, and you sat reading your book, or how about when it rained that spring day, and you had to dash out to roll your car window up, so your puppy stayed dry?
I have mine, and they have some terribly tasty things to eat.
For the past couple of years, it's been the grilled chicken sandwich. Then, one day in the not so distant past, it just didn't sound good.
I searched the menu. What now?
Then, I remembered. A friend loves the black bean burger, and she's definitely not one to steer you wrong
I now have a new favorite, and every time I have one, I think, FANTASTIC! (Always chased by my inner frugalness, these would be great to make at home)
So this week I did and, I have to say, they were great!
Were they AS good? It's hard to say. Everything seems to taste better in the coffee shop because I feel peaceful and good when I'm there.
May we all have our favorite hang-out place that feels like home the minute you walk through the door
ps: The Smoky Red Pepper Sauce certainly is optional, although if you choose to make it, I guarantee you won't be disappointed
— — —
~ Adapted from Gourmet | Feb 2009
Black Bean Burgers
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 egg (large or XL)
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped fine
- pinch fine-grain sea salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 soft hamburger buns
- Smoky Red Pepper Spread (optional, but a wonderful addition!)
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ tsp hot pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
- For the Smoky Red Pepper Sauce
- Roast the pepper over a gas flame until charred and softened. Let the pepper cool; peel, seed, and chop.
- In a food processor, puree the pepper with the feta and pimentón
- Transfer to a bowl
- For the Burgers
- Rinse the black beans in a strainer. Dry them well with paper towels
- Pulse 1 ½ can of the beans in a food processor with egg, bread crumbs, cumin, oregano, and cayenne until you have a coarse purée. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cilantro and remaining ½ can of beans.
- Chill the mix in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Place the patties in the freezer for at least an hour (this will help them hold together a bit better as they cook)
- Heat oil in a 12" heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook burgers until the outsides are crisp and lightly browned, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Serve on buns.
- Transfer the burgers to the buns.
- Top with the Smoky Red Pepper Spread and the onion slices, close the burgers and serve.