Do you have a favorite coffee shop?
The place where you walk in & it immediately feels like home?
You know it's rhythm .. clientele .. laptop plug-ins.. menu .. muffin delivery days. You've sat at all of the tables at one time or another .. but still have your favorite camping out spot.
In your mind's eye are days looking out the big windows .. for all of the seasons .. the time it was snowy night & you sat reading your book .. or how about when it rained that spring day & you had to dash out to roll your car window up so your puppy stayed dry?
I have mine .. and they have some terribly tasty things to eat.
For the past couple of years it's been the grilled chicken sandwich. Then, one day in the not so distant past it just didn't sound good.
I searched the menu .. what now? Ack!
Then .. I remembered .. my friend loves the black bean burger .. and she's definitely not one to steer you wrong
I now have a new favorite .. and every time I have one I think .. FANTASTIC! (Always chased by my inner frugalness .. these would be a great to make at home)
So this week I did .. and, I have to say, they were great!
Were they AS good? It's hard to say .. everything seems to taste better in the coffee shop .. just because I feel peaceful & good when I'm there.
May we all have our favorite hang-out place that feel like home the minute you walk through the door
ps: The Smoky Red Pepper Sauce certainly is optional .. though if you choose to make it .. I guarantee you won't be disappointed
~ Adapted from Gourmet | Feb 2009 .. here
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 egg (large or XL)
- ⅓ cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped fine
- pinch fine-grain sea salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 soft hamburger buns
- Smoky Red Pepper Spread (** optional .. but a wonderful addition!)
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon hot pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
- For the Smoky Red Pepper Sauce
- Roast the pepper over a gas flame until charred and softened.
- Let the pepper cool; peel, seed and chop.
- In a food processor, puree the pepper with the feta and pimentón
- Transfer to a bowl
- For the Burgers
- Rinse the black beans in a strainer. Dry them well with paper-towels
- Pulse 1 can beans in a food processor with egg, bread crumbs, cumin, oregano, and cayenne until a coarse purée forms. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cilantro and remaining can beans.
- Chill the mix in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Form mixture into 4 patties.
- Place the patties in the freezer for at least an hour (**this will help them hold together a bit better as they cook)
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook burgers until the outsides are crisp and lightly browned, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Serve on buns.
- Transfer the burgers to the buns.
- Top with the Smoky Red Pepper Spread and the onion slices, close the burgers and serve.
% Protein: 12
% Carbs: 41
% Fat: 32