I hope you're having the happiest of weeks
At our house ..
The Chef has been traveling .. and I've been hanging out in coffee shops .. finishing that last of the papers for my latest class.
Thought it might be a fun chance to share a few links from around the web
Have you heard of feeding raw food to your pets? I hadn't until a sweet friend told us about it over the weekend. She also gave us 2 containers of raw ..ground turkey necks(!) .. that have been staring at me every time I open the fridge. We'll start the puppies next month. Read more about the benefits of raw pet food .. here
Who owns a recipe?
Essentials for fixing kitchen mistakes
The remarkable story of Ernestine Shepherd
Video Source: Prevention Magazine
Having trouble losing those last 10 pounds? Maybe you're watching too many cooking shows
Thinking ahead to you summer vacation? 10 Websites Changing the Way We Travel
Does your password include your cat's name .. your first house number .. or maybe something motivational .. plus an exclamation point? Me too. From the NYTimes .. The Secret Life of Passwords
Why you should sit at the bar .. when you go to a restaurant
Ever wondered when you should cook with stock .. or when you can get by with water?
Video Source: Bon Appetit
Before he left .. I made a few cookies to take with him on the road.
They're soft .. chewy .. and gluten-free. Certainly not your everyday chocolate chip cookie
Almond flour .. shredded coconut .. chocolate .. and oats form the base and provide a nice texture. Not only will they melt in your mouth .. but they'll also leave a bit of something to chew on. Each bit of coconut .. accented with a burst of chocolate
For a twist .. I've also made them with white chocolate chips (instead of dark) and macadamia nuts (instead of almonds). They're a clean slate to make them your own
ps: The secret to a really good cookie? Let the dough rest 72 hours before baking your cookies .. here
~ Adapted from Amy's Healthy Baking .. here
- 1 c rolled oats
- ¾ c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or clarified butter, melted
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ¾ tsp almond extract
- ½ c honey (** or liquid sweetener of your choice)
- 4 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 4 tbsp dark chocolate, finely chopped (** or mini chocolate chips work as well)
- In a medium bowl, add the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil (or clarified butter), egg, and almond extract. Stir in the honey.
- Add in the flour mix, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in the shredded coconut and a little over half of the chocolate.
- Chill for 30 minutes to an hour
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Drop the cookie dough into 12 rounded scoops onto the prepared sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly and press the remaining chocolate into the tops.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool on the pan for 10 - 15 minutes before putting them onto a wire rack to cool completely
% Protein: 4
% Carbs: 70
% Fat: 7